In the world of Teyvat, Vision users who utilise the Geo element are some of the most powerful and steadfast characters in the game. But among the few playable Geo users, one stands out due to her grace, poise, and strength: Ningguang. As the de facto leader of Liyue, Ningguang is an imposing figure whose mastery of the Geo element is perhaps second only to the god of Geo himself, Morax. While Ningguang is technically a 4-star character, her abilities and battle prowess make her feel more like a 5-star character. Let’s break down her active and passive abilities as well as the best way to build and utilise her skills in this Genshin Impact Ningguang guide.
Character Spotlight: Ningguang
Ningguang is the Tianquan of the Liyue Qixing, which is basically the governing body of Liyue. She’s quite an accomplished businesswoman, having built up a sizable fortune through her many ventures. While Ningguang is a powerful Geo element user, that’s just one of her many talents.
Ningguang is also a ruthless and calculating figure, and people look up to her for her seemingly infinite wisdom. She is also a highly meticulous individual who always has Liyue’s best interests at heart, despite her cold and calculating image. With her mastery of the Geo element and her vast influence in Liyue, Ningguang is definitely a force to be reckoned with.
Normal Attack – Sparkling Scatter
Let’s start with Ningguang’s normal and charged attacks. Ningguang basically fires two gems dealing Geo damage to enemies. These gems home in on enemies, and for every successful hit of her normal attack, Ningguang gains a Star Jade. You can build up to three Star Jades, which can deal additional Geo damage when unleashed through Ningguang’s charged attack.
Ningguang’s charged attacks are further enhanced by her passive talent, Backup Plan. This skill removes the stamina consumption of Ningguang’s charged attacks as long as she is in possession of a Star Jade.
Elemental Skill – Jade Screen
Due to Ningguang’s mastery of the Geo element, she is able to summon a Jade Screen on the battlefield. The screen itself deals AoE damage to the enemy when deployed while also providing a host of different perks to Ningguang.
First, the Jade Screen is capable of blocking opponents’ projectiles, making it an amazing defensive tool. The Jade Screen is also a Geo Construct, which can resonate quite well with characters like Zhongli, who can imbue pulsing damage to Geo Constructs. Lastly, through Ningguang’s passive talent, Strategic Reserve, anyone that passes through the Jade Screen will gain an additional 12% Geo Damage for 10 seconds.
Elemental Burst – Starshatter
Ningguang’s most powerful attack, Starshatter, allows her to summon as many gems around her and use all of her projectiles to home in on opponents dealing significant damage. If a Jade Screen is present during her Elemental Burst, the screen is automatically shattered, giving Ningguang more gems to use for maximum damage to her opponents.
Ningguang’s Constellation – Opus Aequilibrium
Like any other character in Genshin Impact, it’s important to take a close look at their constellations and how well they resonate with the rest of the team. Ningguang’s constellations are somewhat of a mix of damage, defence, and quality of life improvements. Most notably, her second constellation, Shock Effect, resets the cooldown of the Jade Screen when it’s shattered. This gives Ningguang great skill uptime of her Jade Screen, which you can pretty much spam given the right timing and conditions. Her fourth constellation also grants additional Elemental Resistance to nearby characters when her Jade Screen is deployed.
Perhaps the most important constellation in Ningguang’s kit is her sixth one, called Grandeur Be the Seven Stars. Her final constellation grants Ningguang seven additional Star Jades whenever she uses her Elemental Burst. This gives Ningguang an incredible amount of damage potential and allows her to quickly finish off her opponents.
Ningguang DPS Build
Based on her kit and talents, Ningguang is more suited to be used as a main damage dealer in your team. Her kit is focused on providing good burst damage and utility to her team, as well as good stamina consumption when dealing normal and charged attacks. With the right setup, she can be an absolute menace on the battlefield.
Main DPS Weapon
The most recommended weapons for a DPS Ningguang build would be the following:
- Lost Prayer to the Sacred Winds – CRIT Rate 33.1% (Lvl. 90)
- Memory Of Dust – ATK 49.6% (Lvl. 90)
- Kagura’s Verity – ATK 49.6% (Lvl. 90)
- Solar Pearl – CRIT Rate 27.6% (Lvl. 90)
- Dodoco Tales – ATK 55.1% (Lvl. 90)
- Eye Of Perception – ATK 55.1% (Lvl. 90)
These weapons are focused on boosting Ningguang’s attacks, CRIT Rate and CRIT Damage, as well as her Elemental Burst damage, which are all crucial for her to be effective in combat. With these weapons, Ningguang can deal massive amounts of damage and provide utility to her team.
Main DPS Artifacts
As with most DPS builds, you should prioritise CRIT Rate, CRIT Damage, Energy Recharge, and Geo DMG for Ningguang:
- 2-Piece Archaic Petra (Geo DMG Bonus +15%) + 2-Piece Gladiator’s Finale or Shimenawa’s Reminiscence (ATK +18%)
- 2-Piece Archaic Petra (Geo DMG Bonus +15%) + 2-Piece Noblesse Oblige (Elemental Burst DMG +20)
- 2-Piece Archaic Petra (Geo DMG Bonus +15%) + 2-Piece Emblem of Severed Fate (Energy Recharge +20%)
- 4-Piece Archaic Petra (Geo DMG Bonus +15% + 35% Bonus DMG through Elemental Shards)
- 4-Piece Retracing Bolide (Increases Shield Strength by 35% + 40% Normal and Charged Attack DMG When Shielded)
- 4-Piece Martial Artist (ATK +18% + 25% Normal Attack and Charged Attack Damage)
The first three recommended artifacts should be your priority, as they can provide your character with the highest damage output bonuses possible. Choose only the substitutes if you’re unable to get good substats from the recommended artifacts.
DPS Talent Priority
As a DPS character, you should focus on building your Attack talent first since Ningguang will be spending most of the time on the battlefield. Your second priority should be her Elemental Burst and, finally, her Elemental Skill.
Ningguang Burst Support Build
Despite leaning towards a Main DPS build, Ningguang can also be utilised as a support character, mainly through her insane Elemental Burst damage and her Energy Recharge capabilities. In this case, you should first focus on her Energy Recharge ability since it will increase her ability to use Elemental Burst more often.
Burst Support Weapon
Ningguang can be quite a reliable Burst character that you can use a battery to generate energy and also deal high amounts of damage. To maximise her Burst potential, you should focus on using weapons that boost her Elemental Burst damage and Energy Recharge.
- Skyward Atlas – ATK 33.1% (Lvl. 90)
- The Widsith – CRIT DMG 55.1% (Lvl. 90)
- Favonius Codex – Energy Recharge 45.9% (Lvl. 90)
- Prototype Amber – HP 41.3% (Lvl. 90)
Burst Support Artifacts
Relying on Ningguang’s burst damage will shift your focus from CRIT Rate and CRIT Damage to Elemental Burst Damage and Energy Recharge. You should also give focus on Geo Damage Bonus or ATK but only as a second priority. Here are some recommended artifacts for a Burst Support Ningguang:
- 4-Piece Emblem of Severed Fate (Energy Recharge +20% + Elemental Burst Damage +25%)
- 4-Piece Noblesse Obliege (Elemental Burst DMG +20% + Bonus 20% ATK to All Teammates after using Elemental Burst)
- 2-Piece Archaic Petra (Geo DMG Bonus +15%) + 2-Piece Noblesse Oblige (Elemental Burst DMG +20%)
Support Talent Priority
Since you won’t be using Ningguang’s normal and charged attacks that often, you should level up your Elemental Burst first. Your Elemental Skill goes second while your Normal Attack talent will be your least priority.
Best Team Comps for Ningguang
The best thing about Ningguang is she can be quite flexible when it comes to team composition. As long as you pair her with another Geo character, you can easily build a team around her. Obviously, Zhongli is the best partner for her as he can provide great defensive capabilities through his shield as well as great Geo resonance. Zhongli’s ability to resonate with Ningguang Jade Screen can also be a great asset for dealing additional damage to enemies. Aside from Zhongli, any other Geo character can be paired with her.
Once you have a good Geo pairing, the rest of the team can be quite flexible. For instance, you can use Bennett as a healer and damage booster while also utilising Raiden Shogun’s energy-generating capabilities.
- Raiden Shogun
Going with the same double Geo pairing, you can also focus on adding utility and buffs to Ningguang. Venti provides great utility in a Geo team, especially with Ningguang, so you can use him to pull enemies together for easy bursts and crowd control. You can put in Mona for some extra debuffs to your enemies, or you can replace her with a healer like Barbara or Diona.
Since Geo characters have really low elemental reaction potential, you can even go for a full Geo team with Ningguang as your Main DPS, Zhongli as a shielder, and Noelle as your support. Albedo or Gorou can fill the rest of the Geo team by acting as batteries and damage or burst support.
For maximum damage, a double Pyro and double Geo team is also an option, with Ningguang and Zhongli as your main Geo pair. You can then put Xiangling and Bennett as off-field damager and support, respectively.
Ningguang Character Combat Tips
- A good attack cycle for Ningguang is to maintain a Normal > Normal > Charged Attack rotation. This will allow you to quickly generate Star Jades while also reducing the amount of time between using charged attacks.
- Utilise Ningguang’s Jade Screen as a defensive tool to protect yourself from incoming projectiles or to zone out your opponents. This will allow you to maintain your attack cycle and protect yourself from taking too much damage.
- Before using Ningguang’s Elemental Burst, make sure the area is clear of any obstacles that could obstruct Ningguang’s projectiles from hitting their targets.
- Ningguang isn’t the fastest attacker compared to other characters. In fact, most players find her a bit clunky to use when using normal attacks. If you’re playing on PC, you can hold your W key (forward) while attacking to significantly decrease the animation time for Ningguang’s normal attacks. This will help you increase the speed of your attack cycle and make Ningguang more effective in combat.
- Make sure to pass through the Jade Screen before beginning your attack cycle to take advantage of Ningguang’s 12% Geo damage bonus.
Ningguang is perhaps one of the most unique and powerful characters in Genshin Impact, providing a variety of options for players to experiment with. Her ability to deal massive amounts of Geo damage makes her an ideal pick for any Geo team comp, and her Elemental Skill provides an additional layer of utility and protection. With the right team composition, Ningguang can be an incredibly powerful asset to any Genshin Impact team.
If you want to get the best characters and weapons in Genshin Impact, make sure to top up Genesis Crystals only at Codashop. It’s easier and faster, with plenty of safe and convenient payment methods available.