League of Legends: Wild Rift’s 4.2 patch is perhaps one of the wildest so far, with so many changes and new things introduced. Aside from the new champion, Swain, we also have a few new things to look forward to, including some champion adjustments. Renekton happens to be one of the champions to receive a much-needed buff that puts him in the spotlight once more. In this mastery guide, we focus on Renekton’s kit, playstyle, and strategies to help you dominate the top lane and carry your team to victory.
Wild Rift Renekton Guide: Skills and Abilities
Renekton, the Butcher of the Sands, is an Ascended being that’s been driven mad with rage and is hell-bent on seeking vengeance on his brother Nasus. In line with his in-game lore, Renekton is designed to be played around his aggressive and brutal playstyle, with his abilities emphasizing his ability to deal massive damage and control the battlefield. Let’s take a closer look at his entire kit and playstyle:
Passive: Reign of Anger
Renekton’s passive ability allows him to gain Fury with each basic attack he lands. Fury is a resource that Renekton can use to enhance his abilities, increasing their damage and effects. When Renekton’s Fury bar reaches at least 50%, the next use of his abilities will be enhanced. You also gain more Fury when your health is below 50% health. However, when you’re out of combat, you lose four Fury every second.
Skill 1: Cull the Meek
Renekton’s first skill is a powerful AoE ability that deals damage to all enemies around him and heals him for each enemy hit by his skill. When Renekton uses this ability with Fury, he deals bonus damage and heals for a larger amount. He also gains five Fury back for every use of this skill.
Skill 2: Ruthless Predator
Renekton’s second skill is a single-target ability that lets him strike twice at his target, stunning them in the process. When Renekton uses this ability with Fury, he strikes three times and stuns his target for a longer duration.
Skill 3: Slice and Dice
For his third ability, Renekton dashes forward to deal damage to all enemies in his path. This is a two-part ability where he can use the skill again after hitting an enemy with his first use of the skill. He also generates five Fury for every enemy that he passes through. When Renekton uses this ability with full Fury, the second dash deals bonus damage and shreds the armour of enemies hit for four seconds.
Renekton’s ultimate ability, Dominus, empowers him with more Fury and healing. He instantly gains 20 Fury and bonus health for 15 seconds. All enemies around Renekton take damage every second while he is empowered. After casting his ultimate, he gains five Fury and deals magic damage for every second of the duration of the skill. This skill, however, isn’t enhanced by his Fury.
Renekton’s Playstyle Explained
Renekton is a lane-dominant champion that excels in short trades and all-ins. His kit allows him to deal massive amounts of damage while also sustaining through enemy attacks. In the early game, Renekton should focus on farming and harassing his opponent with his first and second abilities. He can use his third ability to escape ganks or engage enemies when he has the advantage.
As Renekton levels up, he becomes even more powerful, especially when he unlocks his ultimate ability. Renekton’s ultimate allows him to dive into team fights and deal massive amounts of damage while also soaking up enemy attacks with his bonus health.
Renekton is a great pick for players who enjoy aggressive and dominant playstyles. He is best played in the top lane, where he can bully his opponent and control the lane. However, Renekton is also vulnerable to being kited and focused down, so players should be careful not to overextend and get caught out by the enemy team.
Renekton Buff in Patch 4.2
Renekton just received one of the most OP buffs in this patch. In case you’re unfamiliar with his kit, Renekton is a Fury-based champion, meaning he builds Fury with every basic attack that he does. He then enhances his skills by consuming all the Fury he generated. In Patch 4.2, Renekton’s second skill, Ruthless Predator, gets a new shield break mechanic. This practically means that he can now break shields whenever he casts his second skill while consuming Red Fury. Since Renekton is primarily a Baron Lane pick, clearing shields will significantly boost his laning power while also making him a more effective counter to shield-based champions such as Camille and Shen.
Early Game Dominance
Renekton’s early game dominance is one of his greatest strengths. He has a lot of damage and sustain in the early levels, allowing him to bully his opponent and control the lane. Renekton players should focus on building up their Fury and using it to enhance their skills for maximum damage output. It’s essential to be aggressive in the early game, but players should also be mindful of their positioning and not overextend, as Renekton can be vulnerable to ganks.
In the mid-game, Renekton’s role shifts from being a lane bully to a team fighter. With his AoE damage and crowd control, he can be a valuable asset in team fights. To maintain your team’s lead, allow them more room to manoeuvre by engaging in split-pushing. In case of a full-scale brawl, jump in with a teleport when it has just started. Renekton players should focus on taking part in fights and disrupting the enemy team with their abilities. Your involvement will undoubtedly sway the fight in your team’s direction. However, it’s important to be aware of the enemy team’s positioning and not get caught out by their crowd-control abilities.
Late Game Scaling
Renekton’s scaling in the late game is not as strong as some other champions, but he can still be a threat if played correctly. Renekton players should focus on building tanky items to survive in team fights and provide utility for their team. It’s important to be aware of your positioning and not overextend, as Renekton can be vulnerable to being focused down in the late game.
Recommended Items and Build
Renekton’s recommended items and build will vary based on the specific game and team compositions. However, a general build for Renekton would be:
- Long Sword
- Plated Steelcaps – Steelplate Enchant
- Black Cleaver
- Death’s Dance
- Sterak’s Gage
- Randuin’s Omen (against crit-heavy opponents)
- Spirit Visage (against heavy AP teams)
- Guardian Angel (for extra survivability)
- Thornmail (against heavy AD teams)
- Hunter – Titan
- Sweet Tooth
Tips and Tricks when Playing Renekton
- Time Your Heals – Renekton’s first skill, Cull the Meek, can heal him for a portion of the damage dealt to enemy units. However, to maximize its effectiveness, you need to time it well. Wait until your health is low before using it to get the most out of the healing. The last thing you want is to waste all the bonus health on a small amount of damage.
- Manage Your Fury – Renekton’s kit revolves around his Fury mechanic. Make sure to manage your Fury well, especially when engaging in fights. Don’t waste your Fury on non-essential skills, and try to keep it at a high level when you’re about to engage in a fight. Remember, you lose Fury when you’re out of combat, so make sure to constantly engage in battles to keep your Fury level high.
- Always Look for Opportunities to Engage – Renekton is a strong early-game champion, so use this to your advantage. Look for opportunities to engage with your opponent, especially when they’re overextended or low on health. This will also help you maintain your Fury level and keep the pressure on your opponent.
- Don’t Be Afraid to Roam – While Renekton is a strong laner, he can be just as effective at roaming and ganking other lanes. Keep an eye on the minimap and look for opportunities to help your teammates. This can help you snowball the game and secure objectives like the dragon and rift herald.
- Use Your Ultimate Wisely – Renekton’s ultimate, Dominus, gives him a significant boost in health and damage output. However, it has a relatively long cooldown (90 seconds), so use it wisely. Save it for team fights or when you’re about to take down a crucial objective, such as a tower or dragon.
- Build Tanky – Renekton is a bruiser-type champion, meaning he can deal significant damage while also being able to take a few hits. However, to maximize his effectiveness, you need to build him tanky. Items such as Sunfire Cape, Guardian Angel, and Randuin’s Omen are excellent choices for Renekton.
- Don’t Overextend – Renekton is a powerful champion, but he’s not invincible. Don’t overextend or dive too deep into enemy lines, as this can leave you vulnerable to enemy attacks and CC. Play smart, and work with your team to secure objectives and win fights.
Mastering Renekton and his kit takes time and practice, but it can be very rewarding. He’s a pretty straightforward champion, but there are still nuances to his playstyle that can make all the difference in a game. It’s essential to focus on his early game dominance and use that to secure a lead for your team. Whether you’re looking to dominate your lane, roam and make plays around the map, or become a formidable frontline in team fights, Renekton has the tools to help you achieve your goals. So if you’re looking for a champion that’s both fun and impactful to play, give Renekton a try and see if he’s the right fit for you!
Dominate the battlefield with your favourite champions in Wild Rift! Make sure to top up Wild Cores at Codashop for a seamless and hassle-free transaction.