In League of Legends: Wild Rift, not all champions are created equal. In fact, that’s exactly how every Wild Rift champion is designed. Each must have its own unique playstyle and strengths. Kennen, for instance, is a Baron lane specialist, making him a great pick for players who like to play aggressively and deal a lot of damage. His abilities are based on lightning, and his kit is designed to stun and disrupt enemy teams. Since Kennen just received a small but very significant buff in Patch 4.1c for his second ability, he’s quickly gaining some attention again in the game. If you want to master Kennen and unlock his full potential on the battlefield, here’s a quick and simple guide to help you out.
Kennen’s Playstyle and Abilities
Choosing a champion starts by determining the kind of playstyle you want to use as a player. In this case, Kennen is all about poking and bullying your opponents in the Baron or Mid lanes, so you need to be comfortable being on your toes at all times and keeping your enemies at bay. Essentially, Kennen’s kit revolves around his passive ability, Mark of the Storm, which applies a stack of electricity to enemies every time you hit them with your ability. Once an enemy reaches three stacks, they get stunned for 1.25 seconds, allowing you to follow up with more damage. Basically, every movement and skill combo under his kit revolves around managing those stacks, so always keep that on top of mind if you want to drop your enemies easily.
Here’s a quick overview of his skills so you know how to play Kennen effectively.
Mark of the Storm (Passive): Kennen’s abilities add a stack of electricity to enemies. Upon reaching three stacks, enemies are stunned for 1.25 seconds, and Kennen gains 25 energy.
Thundering Shuriken (First Ability): Fires a shuriken that deals magic damage and adds a stack of electricity to enemies hit.
Electrical Surge (Second Ability): Every 5th basic attack deals bonus magic damage and add a stack of electricity to the target and nearby enemies. Kennen can also shock nearby enemies who also have the Mark of the Storm.
Lightning Rush (Third Ability): Kennen gains movement speed and deals magic damage to enemies he passes through. For every enemy hit, Kennen applies a stack of electricity to his enemies. He also gains bonus attack speed once Lightning Rush is over.
Slicing Maelstrom (Ultimate): Kennen summons a lightning storm that deals magic damage to all nearby enemies and adds one stack of electricity to each. The storm persists for three seconds, dealing additional damage to enemies in its radius.
Recommended Kennen Build in Wild Rift
When building Kennen, it’s important to prioritise items that enhance his abilities and increase his mobility. Remember that Kennen is a squishy champion, so items that offer some defensive stats are also important.
Whether you’re going solo in the Baron Lane or going as a Midlaner, your recommended build should look like this:
- Rabadon’s Deathcap
- Void Staff
- Infinity Orb
- Liandry’s Torment (for enemies with high health)
- Zhonya’s Hourglass (for survivability against physical damage)
- Banshee’s Veil (for survivability against magic damage and crowd control)
- Morellonomicon (for enemies with healing abilities)
- Ionian Boots of Lucidity (Stasis Enchant)
- Giant Slayer
- Ultimate Shield
- Nimbus Cloak
*For the optional items, if you want more healing, go for Morellonomicon. For better crowd-control capabilities, it’s better to go with Banshee’s Veil
Essential Tips for Playing Kennen
In order to maximise your potential as Kennen, here are some essential tips to keep in mind:
- Abuse your Range – Kennen is all about range, and it’s where he really excels the most. Use your Skill 1 (Thundering Shuriken) and Skill 2 (Electrical Surge) to clear your waves and poke your enemies from a distance. This is especially useful during the laning phase when you want to make it difficult for your opponent to farm.
- Know When to Escape or Engage – Kennen’s mobility is one of his greatest strengths. His Skill 3 (Lightning Rush) allows him to dash through enemies and deal damage while also giving him a speed boost. Use this skill to escape difficult situations or to engage in team fights. However, be careful not to use it recklessly, as it can leave you vulnerable if you get caught out. Always assess the situation and decide whether it’s better to engage or disengage.
- Control the Wave – As a Baron lane specialist, Kennen is great at controlling the minion wave. Use Kennen’s range to poke and harass the enemy laner while also using your skills to clear waves quickly. This will allow you to push the wave towards the enemy turret, making it harder for the enemy to farm and increasing the chances of them making a mistake. Keep an eye on the minion wave and use your abilities strategically to ensure that it’s always pushing in your favour. This will give you an advantage in the lane and make it easier for you to secure objectives.
- Stun Your Enemies for the Kill – As mentioned above, Kennen’s passive, Mark of the Storm, effectively stuns enemies when they are hit by three of his abilities. This is a great tool to secure kills in team fights or ganks. Use your Skill 1 to start the combo, followed by Skill 2 to proc the passive, and then use your ultimate (Slicing Maelstrom) to deal massive damage and stun multiple enemies at once. This will deal a lot of damage and give your team the opportunity to finish off the enemy.
- Be Patient with Your Ultimate – Kennen’s ultimate, Slicing Maelstrom, is a powerful tool that can turn team fights in your favour. However, it’s important to be patient and wait for the right moment to use it. Try to catch as many enemies as possible in the ultimate, and make sure that your team is ready to follow up. Don’t waste it on a single enemy or use it too early in the fight. Wait for the right moment and use it to secure the victory for your team.
- Watch Out for Hard Counters – Like any other champion, Kennen has hard counters that can make it difficult for him to succeed while landing or even in skirmishes. Champions like Kassadin, Orianna, or even Zigs could easily outpoke Kennen if you’re not careful. This is much more evident during the mid to late games since Kennen relies heavily on his abilities to deal damage and control team fights. Champions with high sustain, like Darius or other tanks, can also make it difficult for Kennen to whittle them down. Be aware of these matchups and adjust your playstyle accordingly. Don’t be afraid to ask for help from your jungler or roam to other lanes if necessary.
- Build AP to Maximise his Abilities – Building Ability Power (AP) is recommended on Kennen instead of going the Attack Damage (AD) since he relies a lot on the use of his abilities. He scales best with an AP build, which will increase the damage and effectiveness of his abilities. Items like Zhonya’s Hourglass, Rabadon’s Deathcap, and Void Staff are great choices for Kennen. It’s important to balance your build with defensive items like Banshee’s Veil to ensure that you can survive team fights and continue dealing damage. Be aware of the enemy team’s composition and adjust your build accordingly.
For players who like to play in the Baron Lane to defend or push will find Kennen to be a valuable addition to their roster. With his ability to stun multiple opponents and deal significant damage, Kennen can turn the tide of a team fight in your favour. Remember to use his abilities wisely and position yourself correctly to maximise his effectiveness in battle. And most importantly, practice, practice, practice to master the intricacies of his kit. With enough skill and experience, you can become a formidable Kennen player and dominate the battlefield with ease.
Make sure to top up your Wild Cores only at Codashop. You won’t find better deals and easier ways to purchase in-game currency anywhere else.